Head Camp Counselor
LOCATION: The Salvation Army - Kroc Center - Phoenix, AZ
STATUS: Temporary Full-time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Head Camp Counselor is responsible for leading and instructing Day Camp Staff and other recreation activities. They will facilitate day camp sign in and out procedures. This position will perform and oversee point of sale transactions, cash handling, and CCMS database management. The Head Camp Counselor is responsible for maintaining a safe working environment, reporting any and all facility defects/problems and proper documentation of camper injuries.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- 12 months childcare experience and high school diploma/or GED equivalency preferred
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in early childhood/closely related field preferred
- N.A.C., C.D.A., or C.C.P. credential preferred
- Must be certified in CPR/First Aid/AED upon first day of work
- Must obtain Fingerprint Clearance card upon first day of work
- Must obtain a Food Handlers card upon first day of work
- Must complete 18 hours of Arizona Department of Health Safety training within 10 days of employment annually
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred
- Must have experience programming youth activities and working with children, preferably in a camp setting
- Must have a philosophy of education and child development which is consistent with that of The Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Must be capable of learning basic point-of-sale procedures and CCMS database integrations
- Must have experience teaching a variety of activities involving education, computers, sports performing arts, fine arts and/or fitness
- Must have experience or ability to coach others in teaching and leading groups of children in day camp setting, with biblical principles
- Must have the ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude in working with customers, clients, and members and staff
- Must thrive in a team-oriented environment
- Must be a team player
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality as needed
- Must be in good physical and mental health
- Must be capable of meeting the demands of day camp during a strenuous 40-hour workweek
- Strong desire and ability to work well with children, parents and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling, and education including but not limited to:
- Relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages
- Sensitivity to children’s individual needs
- Use appropriate positive discipline consistently
- Handle security and crisis situations calmly
- Engage and maintain a child’s interest in activities
- Complete all Protect the Mission requirements and other trainings as directed
- Ability to perform responsibilities from the role of Counselor should you be needed for additional support and/or to secure safe ratios
- Must be able to work under and support the mission of The Salvation Army and must be able to coach staff to do the same
- Working knowledge of integrated database applications and ability to use new software programs with basic training.
- Microsoft Word and Excel required
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result. Qualified individuals must have access to reliable transportation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.